We are looking for a Catering Manager to join and support our friendly school kitchen team at St James’ School in Grimsby.
About St James’ School
Education in its purist form is about unlocking potential. Releasing character. Achieving dreams. Education is a never-ending journey. Some children charge, some skip, and some stroll. Others need a hand to hold. Not everyone begins this journey from the same place, but at St. James’ our philosophy focusses on the excellence within each and every child and their pursuit of self-fulfilment. At St. James’, happiness and pupil wellbeing comes first. These are the strong foundations on which to build our future, and from which examination grades naturally flow. Proud of our long history and tradition, but not rooted in the past, St. James’ is confidently looking forward, aiming to develop agile, creative thinkers. Pupils who are ‘future proofed’ against an ever-changing world.
About the Position
- Planning and implementation of all events for the catering department, as well as supervising, training, and directing service staff.
- The catering manager is responsible for developing menus, procuring of rentals and supplies, and staffing.
- Ensures that security, safety, and health standards are being adhered to.
- Evaluates operations against the established goals and objectives.
- Provide leadership to all catering staff; manage relationships with customers including students, staff, suppliers and the general public; maintain positive working environment and open channels of communication.
- Plan and coordinate all aspects of catering including meeting with staff and pupils, menu development, and meet with relevant staff to discuss the summer camps in order to plan and refine catering menus; responsible for safe preparation transport and set up of all food items for catering events.
- Train all catering staff in the areas of event set up, food service and customer service; develop job performance standards for all employees; support career development for career staff; motivate staff to strive for highest quality of food production and customer service; manage food safety and sanitation programs in the Unit; maintain cost effective work schedules; recognise outstanding staff performance.
- Develop and maintain budgets; develop, analyse and manage budget forecasting tools.
- Provide employees with a safe and healthy work environment; implement standards for sanitation to meet all health codes; ensure compliance of regulatory issues.
- Customer Service: ensure pupils, staff and the general public receive effective and responsive service, that food is served by a friendly and well informed staff.
- Part of this role will involve safeguarding responsibilities including the reporting of any safeguarding concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Team
- Previous catering and banquet service experience will be advantageous.
- Ability to work flexible and demanding hours
- Demonstrated ability and skills with supervision of entry level staff.
- A proven track record of successfully controlling costs and managing annual budgets
- An ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- A genuine enthusiasm for working with children.
- An ability to inspire confidence.
- A positive attitude.
- An ability to strike a good professional rapport with children, staff and parents.
- To perform the essential functions of the job, the following applies: requires extended periods of standing, stretching, bending, walking, lifting and transporting a minimum of 25 lbs. Must be able to climb stairs, be able to perform multiple tasks under extended heavy pressure, and able to function in a fast-paced environment.
Contract: Permanent, Term Time only
Contract Type: Full Time
Working Pattern: Monday to Friday, 40 Hours per week
Salary: £10.50 per hour
Benefits: Wellness Programme, Company Pension, Life Assurance
Start Date: September 2022
Closing Date: 16th May 2022
To find out more about this role, please read our Job Description.
How To Apply
St James’ School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants for ALL jobs will undergo appropriate child-protection screening including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to enhanced level, costs are covered by the company. This role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and the Amendments to the Exceptions Order 1975, 2013 and 2020.